AA - Daytime Milieu Counselor - Full Time
- - Milieu Staff
- NY, USA
- Full Time
FUNCTION: The Milieu Counselor functions under the supervision of the Shift Supervisor, Clinical Manager, Program Director and/or Administrator on Duty. Facilitates communication with all patients and assists in maximizing program participants.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties as required.
- Maintains a therapeutic environment.
- Establishes and maintains interpersonal relationships with patients' visitors and other facility personnel while assuring confidentiality of patient information.
- Observes patient's behavior and records observation either in chart and/or communication log. In crisis or as situations occur, reports and follows direction of immediate supervisor.
- Communicates during shift change meeting, including but not limited to, room check and successful hand off of unit.
- Conducts room checks in all patient rooms as required throughout shift and document(s) appropriately. Verifies appropriate headcount and room conditions.
- Coordinates, sets up and completes the admission process, if needed, including but not limited to, searches and orientation to unit.
- Conducts spirituality and all other assigned lectures and groups.
- Is available for crisis intervention/emergency back-up as needed.
- Attends meals with unit, monitors line, remains with the patients during the assigned meal period.
- Attends in-service education programs as assigned to learn new treatments and procedures and develop skills.
- Does not leave facility until replacement has arrived.
- Assists facility personnel in patient care, patient intervention, family intervention, safety, fire, disaster and other areas necessary to maintain a safe environment. Acts as fire marshall when required. Adheres to facility policy for emergency situations. Assists with recreation as requested.
- Provides support services for case manager, including but not limited to, phone calls, escorts.
- Utilize and maintain radios appropriately.
- Participates in Performance Improvement Initiatives.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: NA
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: High school diploma or general education degree (GED) with one to three months' related experience and/or training.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situation.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Should have knowledge and understanding of alcoholism and addiction. Six months' experience working in a direct client/patient environment. Must be able to maintain high degree of confidentiality. Ability to multi-task, work in a fast paced environment and manage time accordingly in order to meet deadlines and requirements of the organization.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms.
The employee may be required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Fast-paced, deadline oriented, confidential department. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.